vic check

 Vehicle Identity Check (VIC)

What does it mean? The Vehicle Identity Check (VIC) is a new initiative by the Vehicle & Operator Services Agency (VOSA), part of the Vehicle Inspectorate. The scheme has been developed to help fight car crime by deterring criminals from stealing cars
and passing them off as repaired accident damage ones.

What does a VIC mean? VOSA will carry out the identity check. They will confirm as far as possible that the vehicle is the original and not a stolen one. The check will not judge the quality of the repair, only the identity of the vehicle.

When is a check needed? From 7 April 2003 all accident damaged (this applies to category C salvage) and / or substantially repaired cars notified to DVLA (usually by the insurance company) must pass a VIC before they can be legally returned to the road. If the vehicle has not passed a VIC, then DVLA will not issue the keeper with a registration document (V5).

What if you buy a car that needs a VIC? You will need to take it to a VOSA test station so it can undergo a VIC. Before taking your car to be checked, you will need to pay a fee (£35.00 as of 1st October 2004). On receipt of the fee VOSA will book an appointment for you and tell you where and when you should take your car to be checked. You will also need to give certain information about your car to VOSA before the check takes place. This will allow them to confirm that the information you have given matches with their records.

Buying a vehicle that has passed a VIC. When a vehicle has passed the VIC, the result will be stored on computer by the DVLA. The person who took the vehicle for the VIC will be given a certificate to show that the vehicle has been through the identity check and has passed. A vehicle can be sold with a VIC pass certificate (the authenticity can be checked with VOSA on 0870 6060 440). The certificate is proof that the vehicle has passed, although should be checked before purchase

What will the VIC involve? The check is designed to confirm as far as possible the identity of the vehicle and check for signs of repaired accident damage. If VOSA cannot confirm the vehicle’s identity, it will fail the check. VOSA will also tell the police if the vehicle’s identity appears to have been altered in any way. This doesn't mean that you will automatically be in trouble with the police! It is part of the system for discouraging criminals from passing off stolen vehicles as repaired vehicles.

From 7 April 2003, the registration document of any vehicle that has passed a VIC will be marked to confirm that the vehicle has been accident damaged and / or substantially repaired. It will also confirm the date when VOSA checked it.

What do I do if my vehicle passes? You can now apply to the DVLA for a registration document, or if you are eager to get on the road you can also license the vehicle at a DVLA Local Office, pending receipt of a V5, providing you produce the following in addition to the normal documentation required at relicensing:

  • a V62 application for a registration document
  • VIC pass certificate (which will be validated against the DVLA record)
  • personal identity or company letterhead as appropriate
What do I do next if my vehicle fails? If the vehicle fails, you may be entitled to appeal against the decision. Please contact VOSA to find out more.
Contact numbers and website addresses for further information:

VOSA national number: 0870 6060 440
VOSA web site:

DVLA customer enquiries:0870 240 0010
DVLA web